Surface Oncology is seeking a Senior Corporate Counsel to provide a broad range of corporate legal services, including leading the contract negotiation effort for multiple departments. The Senior Corporate Counsel will provide advice and counseling on matters relating to contract drafting and negotiations, research and development activities, program and alliance management, and compliance in support of a broad range of client groups, including Research, Clinical Development, CMC & Manufacturing, and G&A. The successful candidate will have significant depth of experience working in a biotechnology or pharmaceutical company, and will be adept at serving as a trusted business advisor. The position is based in Cambridge, Massachusetts and will report to the General Counsel.
- Draft and negotiate contracts and other legal documents, including CDAs, MTAs, manufacturing agreements, license agreements, clinical trial agreements, purchasing terms & conditions, supply agreements and various vendor services agreements.
- Appropriately triage a heavy workflow, set clear priorities and expectations with clients, and efficiently deliver results.
- Advise on contract interpretation, dispute resolution and legal risks.
- Collaborate closely with intellectual property team on IP-related contractual matters and R&D program support.
- Lead corporate due diligence efforts and support business development activities, including the negotiation of strategic agreements, in collaboration with internal stakeholders and outside counsel.
- Support corporate governance and compliance efforts; assist with the development and implementation of company policies and procedures.
- Help design, implement and maintain an effective global healthcare compliance and privacy program; advise on global privacy matters.
- Develop and continually expand a thorough understanding of Surface’s current and planned business activities, programs, competitors and markets, and keep abreast of developing corporate legal trends, laws and regulations.
- Educate and advise colleagues on global legal and compliance issues.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- J.D. and active bar licensure.
- 10+ years of experience in a biopharma corporate setting, law firm experience a plus.
- Strong legal background and experience in the field of biopharma R&D.
- Thorough understanding of healthcare laws and regulations and corporate governance issues related to the development and commercialization of biopharmaceutical products.
- Experience with collaborations, consortia and license agreements is strongly preferred.
- Experience with immunotherapies or antibody therapeutics is a plus.
- Ability to work collaboratively with colleagues and clients across the company, successfully build relationships, and efficiently manage outside counsel.
- Ability to think creatively, devise solutions to challenging problems, and drive issues to closure.
- Excellent interpersonal, decision-making and communications skills.
- Ability to manage multiple competing demands and prioritize effectively.
- Demonstrated experience in client counseling and a client service focus.
- Entrepreneurial, self-starter and highly independent.