Director, Corporate Counsel
Covid- 19 Mandatory Vaccination Requirement
Throughout the pandemic, we’ve done all that we can to keep our employees safe, and the employees coming in have been careful to take precautions to reduce the risk of bringing Covid into our work environment. As we reopen our office, we’re mindful that the pandemic is not yet over, and young children are not yet vaccinated. We are committed to continuing to protect our team and keep our office safe. Vaccination has proven to be the best thing you can do to protect yourself, your family, your colleagues and your community. Since we are striving for a 100% vaccinated workplace (including employees, contractors, vendors and guests), all NEW HIRES will be required to be fully vaccinated, and to present proof of their Covid-19 vaccination to our HR team as part of our on-boarding process.
Surface Oncology is seeking an experienced, energetic, and versatile corporate attorney to manage a wide range of responsibilities including securities, SEC reporting, compliance, governance, financing, policy, and other general corporate matters. The Director, Corporate Counsel will interface with all levels of leadership and work closely with the Chief Legal Officer (CLO) and the finance, investor relations and legal teams. This position reports to the Vice President, Legal.
- Maintain comprehensive securities compliance program in close collaboration with the CLO and other internal stakeholders
- Support compliance with SEC and Nasdaq rules and regulations, Sarbanes-Oxley Act, Regulation FD, and company-wide policies, including reporting requirements under the Securities Exchange Act of 1934 and the Securities Act of 1933 (e.g., Forms 8-K, 10-Q, 10-K)
- Assist with the preparation for board and committee meetings and the planning of the annual meeting of stockholders, including with the preparation of proxy statements and related filings and initiatives in improving governance
- Collaborate with the Finance team in equity administration and Section 16 reporting
- Assist with corporate governance and advising company management on these issues
- Assist in the review of external corporate communications
- Provide legal advice and support in a wide array of practice areas and special projects as needed
- Work closely with and efficiently manage outside counsel as needed
- J.D. and bar admission in good standing in at least one state
- Minimum of [8-10] years of experience in a large law firm and/or in-house, preferably at a publicly traded biotechnology or pharmaceutical company
- General corporate, securities law and SEC reporting experience
- Demonstrated experience in other areas of law such as strategic transactions, commercial contracts, employment, compliance, and/or healthcare a plus
- Ability to assess risks and benefits and convey them in a clear and concise manner
- Excellent communication skills with high detail orientation and solid business judgment
- Collaborative team player with internal client service focus and ability to adapt and prioritize in a fast-paced, dynamic environment
- Strong work ethic, high level of integrity and ability to work independently and with discretion
Great Opportunity to go in house!